Okay, slightly tongue-in-cheek, but… I’ve seen a lot of discussion about last night’s Question Time, and I thought it might be helpful to summarise the issues.
There are good and bad people who vote Conservative and good and bad people who vote Labour. If you’re not sure, here’s a quick guide. When you read about this woman, do you think…
– “Oh no, poor women, this is terrible and what I was afraid would happen”. You are a good person.
– “Oh no, this is terrible. On the other hand, tragic though it is, this may increase the Labour vote next time”. You are so-so. Make sure you remember this is about real people.
– “She voted Tory, she deserves everything she gets”. You are a bad person. Stop pretending you care about other people.
– “Oh no, this is terrible, how could the government do this to people”. You are a good person.
– “Oh no, this is very sad, but maybe it’s the only way to reduce the deficit and prevent worse things from happening”. You are so-so. Make sure you remember this is about real people.
– “Hah, she’s obviously a skiver not a striver and got caught out. Serves her right”. You are a bad person. Apparently you’re not even pretending to care about other people.
(Funnily enough, Twitter seems to be bringing out the worst on both sides).